Nature brings out the beauty and peace in things. I'm at comfort when I'm at the park. New ideas are formed and I am rejuvenated. I believe everyone should find their happy place, somewhere you have solace.
Have you ever ran water and it smelled as if chemicals were in it? Or have you ever taken a shower and your skin and hair feels less moisturized afterwards? Chances are, the water in your area is hard. Hard water is filled with lots of calcium, magnesium, and manganese. Another sure sign that you are dealing with hard water is the appearance of white rings or spots around faucets and any metal surface in the sink. It is also noticeable on plastic shampoo and body wash bottles, that are in contact with the water from the shower. A constant use of hard water will cause mineral buildup, in your hair. This causes the cuticle layers, in the hair shaft, to remain open. Hair cuticles that never close are not able to retain water, therefore hair will lose it's sheen, volume, and softness. Hair also becomes very brittle and grey hair tend to develop a yellow tint. Hard water also causes hair color to fade more quickly, for those with color treated hair. There are a few things you can do to avoid mineral build up such as buy a water softener (but that's expensive), shampoo and wet hair with distilled water, or shampoo hair with a clarifying shampoo. Look for shampoos that contain Ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid (EDTA), which is a chelating agent that binds to minerals so that they can be removed. EDTA is used in many water treatment plants. Listed below are the ingredients and steps for a mineral buildup treatment. Try it out because no one wants damaged hair due to water.
- 1/2 cup white distilled vinegar
- Baking soda
- Clarifying shampoo
- Mix 1/2 cup of vinegar and 1/2 cup of water
- Apply to hair and leave in for 5 minutes and rinse with cold water
- Shampoo hair normally with clarifying shampoo
- Make a thick paste with equal parts of baking soda and water and leave in hair for 10 minutes
- Shampoo hair again with clarifying shampoo
Photo source: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bb/Hard_water_and_drop.jpg
Genetics is usually the main factor in hair growth, but exercising can also promote hair growth. Exercising is a great way to maintain a healthy and properly functioning body. Cardiovascular exercises allows for great circulation of blood throughout your entire body. Blood circulation allows the transportation of nutrients and oxygen to hair follicles, which is essential for growth. Also, it's great to exercise because it reduces stress, which also is a factor for stunted hair growth and also hair loss. Stress increases cortisone, the hormone that is responsible for hair thinning and hair loss. Exercising is also good because it helps reduce stress by releasing serotonin. Serotonin is a hormone that allows you to feel energized and happy.
No matter if you have relaxed or natural hair, your hair can be easily damaged if not for proper care. Heat styling, chemical processing, and constant brushing can damage hair. Hair becomes dry, brittle, and it lacks luster. Hot oil treatments restore softness, moisture, and luster. Treatments also helps reduce frizz. Hot oil treatments can be purchased at many drug and beauty supply stores. You can also make your own hot oil treatment. The only ingredients you need are unrefined organic coconut
oil, olive oil, and almond oil. Below are instructions for applying the hot oil treatment to hair. Depending on the thickness and length of your hair will determine how much oil you think you need to apply. Make sure to mix equal parts of the 3 oils. After your hair is washed and conditioned, you can apply the hot oil treatment.
- In a microwave friendly container, apply coconut oil, almond oil, and olive oil, and heat for one minute.
- Transfer oils to an applicator bottle for easy application. If no bottle is around, you can still perform the treatment, but it can be messy.
- While the oils are cooling, part hair into four sections
- Before applying the oils, make sure it's cool enough to where it won't burn your scalp, but still warm.
- Take one section and apply oils from scalp to the ends
- Once application is done, massage the oils in your hair
- Place a plastic shower cap on your head for 15 min and apply a dryer to it or warm towel
- Rinse out oils, shampoo with a light shampoo and condition